Sunday, July 12, 2009

"Why do we WAIT?"


So... one day a dear man's wife dies from pancreatic cancer. The very next day he signs up for dance classes... as this was the only thing his wife ever asked him to do when she was alive, and it was the only thing that he refused to do--because he was too embarrassed and didn't want to look like a fool. "Later, my dear", he would always say to her.

"It's interesting how looking like a fool sounds incredibly enticing after someone you love has passed." -He says

"I have never felt more alive and closer to her than I do when I'm dancing all those 'foolish' dances."
-He smiles

"Why do we wait?" -He sighs

His question made me ask the same of myself. WHY DO I WAIT? What am I waiting for exactly, and what makes me think that "later" is a better time? Is there really another time than right now?
So, instead of looking at the "goals" or "wish" lists that I had made over the last year. I decided to just start right now. That is to say; when someone asked me if I wanted to do something that sounded even remotely interesting or full of life changing adventures, I was going to say "Absolutely!"

I'm pretty confident the Universe found this new mission of mine quite entertaining. Not a hour later, my husband comes home and asks me point blank to go skydiving with him on Monday afternoon (back story: I had given my husband, Sage, a pass for skydiving 2 years prior and I had always refused to go with him because of my deep fear of jumping from a plane. So, yes, for 2 years he looked for someone to go with him... and somehow it never worked out with anyone else.)

I looked at him, took a deep breath, and said "Absolutely!" with almost no hesitancy.
What still amazes me, is that he knew to ask even after I had said "NO" for 2 long years. (It supports my theory that kindred spirits reflect and support our highest good even when we forget.)

So, cut to... 3 days later, Monday--Go Time!
Everything from that day, I can remember like I was painting it detail by detail. I could feel and became aware of every muscle and every emotion I was feeling. It was literally impossible not to feel alive! The whole experience was incredible, but the moment I remember most vividly was the very second before I jumped. My toes were literally hanging off the side of the plane, and as I looked down and saw the beautiful Earth below, I knew that I had no choice but to truly "let go." There was nothing to control anymore. I could feel the air in my hair, and I could hear freedom calling me forward. I asked myself, "what's the BEST that can happen?" That question alone brought on a huge smile, and then there was no need to jump. I just leaped into the air and laughed! It was drizzling that day, so the soft rain pellets disguised the joyful tears that streaked my face! I flew effortlessly with no need for control or fear.

Those brief moments are now etched in my cellular memory and soul. I can see a new map of freedom being drawn up in my body. I can feel "absolutely" rushing through my blood. "Later" or "Never" didn't show up that day. I chose to show up instead!

Do something you love or fear right now. I find it beautiful how some of the very things we fear turn into our greatest loves. Wait not for the days where you will think back, and ask "Why did I wait?"


This wonderful man dances every Thursday. He says that for that whole hour, he forgets himself. All he cares about is looking like a fool and dancing in the arms of the beautiful lady that taught him how to be truly alive!

"We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance."
~Japanese Proverb~

(A special thank you to Kaylee Ellingson for the inspiration!)

No comments: